The web is full of resources for learning new things, and there’s no shortage of information when it comes to Google Apps or Office 365. Sometimes, the sea of documentation, videos, and other training resources can be hard to find, or even overwhelming. We wanted to consolidate some of that information for all cloud IT admins–both Google Apps and Office 365.
Below, you’ll find links to our favorite in-depth guides, how-to videos, general resources, and more that will demonstrate how to better manage and secure your cloud office system–while empowering your end users at the same time.
Whether you’re focused on increasing your knowledge of Google Drive security or stumbling on new resources like Microsoft’s Virtual Academy, we know that you’ll find something of use to take your professional development as a cloud IT admin to the next level.
Note: Google Apps admins can skip to their section by clicking here.
Primary Resources for Office 365 Admins
If you’re using Office 365, there’s a strong possibility you’re moving from Microsoft on-premises. Though similar, Office 365 and the cloud bring new challenges to the forefront. Use the resources below to learn more about your Office 365 tenant and leverage the cloud to its full potential.
- Microsoft’s Virtual Academy
- Office 365 Learning Center for Office and Education
- Microsoft’s IT Training Center
Where to Learn More About Getting Office 365 Certified
Microsoft’s Office 365 certification, called Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), helps admins prove
their “expertise in using the cloud-based collaboration and productivity tools offered by Office 365.” Learn more about the certification by following the link below.
Getting Started with Office 365
Office 365 is not only new for end users, it’s new for admins too. Get started with Office 365 by taking advantage of the many Microsoft resources that have been created to help ease the transition to the cloud.
- Get Started with Office 365 for Business
- Microsoft’s Office 365 Guides
- About the Office 365 Admin Center
- Microsoft’s “Getting Started” Guide to OneDrive
Collaboration and Productivity
We know that Office 365 helps improve productivity and collaboration, but only if your end users use the services and start working more in the cloud. Learn about how to enhance collaboration in your organization by reading the following articles.
- Assign Admins to OneDrive for Business
- 5 Administration Tips for OneDrive for Business and SharePoint
- Collaboration and Co-authoring in Word Online: How it Works
- SharePoint Online Search Administration Overview
Communication and Scheduling
Many end users love the Outlook client for its powerful communication and scheduling capabilities. The Outlook Web App helps take these features online, enabling your end users to access them from any device–no matter the location.
- How to Setup Calendar Sharing Permissions in the Office 365 Admin Center
- How to Turn on Calendar Publishing
- Use Windows PowerShell to Grant an Admin Access to All User Mailboxes in Office 365
- How and Why to Create a Shared Mailbox in Office 365
Cleaning Up Your Tenant
As your tenant grows, licenses can go unused, users wind up improperly deprovisioned, and mailboxes sit idle and empty. Take time to do clean up your tenant from time to time–with or without the help of PowerShell–your job will be easier for it.
- How to Soft-delete Stale Office 365 Mailboxes
- How to Purge Soft-deleted Users
- How to Properly Deprovision Users in Office 365
- Getting Started with PowerShell for Office 365
- How to Connect to Office 365 Using Powershell
Reporting is becoming an increasingly important tool for admins, especially as entire organizations move to the cloud. With Office 365, you can monitor usage rates and receive reports to find out how quickly your employees are adopting their new cloud office system.
Many organizations choose Microsoft simply due to the company’s dedication to security. The cloud is an unknown for some business leaders that have grown accustomed to keeping all data on-premises. Help ease their concerns and increase your own Office 365 security knowledge by following the links below.
- How to Reset Office 365 User Passwords from the Admin Center
- Microsoft’s Security in Office 365 Whitepaper
- Office 365 Trust Center
General Office 365 Administration Help
Office 365 is a powerful service for end users and admins alike. But in order for your organization to truly take advantage, you need to be an expert. That’s a lot to ask; Office 365 and Microsoft’s cloud services are rapidly evolving and gaining new features. Below are five additional resources that will help you keep up with Microsoft’s fast-paced innovation.
- Administering Office 365 for Small Business
- Office Delve for Office 365 Admins
- Streamlining the Administration of a School with OneNote Staff Notebooks
- Microsoft Azure Documentation Center
- How to Create and Office 365 Service/Support Request
Primary Resources for Google Apps Admins
Google Apps admins will never run out of resources for learning more about their cloud office system. Here are some of our favorites:
Where to Learn More About Google Apps Certification
There are two types of Google Apps certifications, one for admins, and one for deployment specialists. The Google Apps Certification home page has everything you need and more to get you on your way to becoming a better admin.
Getting Started with Google Apps
Google Apps excels when it comes to ease of use, but it’s always necessary to start somewhere. These in-depth guides will help you get your domain up and running as soon as possible.
Collaboration and Productivity
The cloud is helping IT admins save time and eliminate routine tasks. The next step for many admins is to help their end users get the most out of Google Apps. This takes time–and training. Properly managing and understanding Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides and more will increase your users productivity, regardless of their device or location.
- Set Up Your Organization’s Fileshare
- Ramp Up New Team Members Faster
- Google Drive Security for Google Apps Admins
- Distribute Add-ons to Your Entire Team
- Help Enable Collaboration with Google Sheets
Communication and Scheduling
Communication is one of the top requirements for keeping a successful organization up and running. If email is out for even a few minutes, productivity doesn’t just stall, it can halt entirely. It’s your job to ensure that your domain is optimized for effective communication.
- Set up Gmail Delegation
- How to Stop Sender Fraud
- Create Groups and Mailing Lists
- How to Setup Calendar Delegation
- Set Calendar Sharing Options
- Understand the Settings for Google Hangouts in the Admin Console
- How to Build a Better Virtual Team with Hangouts
- 4 Ways to Transform Your Organization with Google Hangouts
- Understanding the Difference Between Admin and User Groups in Google Apps
- Google+ FAQ for Admins
BetterCloud enables you to create reports that will give you better insight into your organization. Learn how to run reports easily and automatically by following the directions found in the links below.
- Get Regularly Scheduled Reports About Your Google Apps Domain
- How to Run a Report on All Groups and Their Members
If you’re in IT, then you already understand the importance of security. Help tighten your organization’s security by protecting your users and your organization’s sensitive information.
- 12 Vital Answers to Clout IT and Google Apps Security Questions
- The Complete Guide to 2-Step Verification
- Schedule a Policy to Automate the Password Reset Process
General Google Apps Administration Help
- 15 Free Google Apps Training Sessions
- Optimizing for Long-term Success in Google Apps
- Google Apps Administrator Guide to Accessibility
Do you know of any other great Google Apps or Office 365 resources that we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments section below and we’ll add it to the list!