If you’re a power user of Google Forms, did you know that you can save a lot of time by creating a default version that is customizable with each new use? The easiest way to do this is by pre-filling responses for certain fields.
In this video, I mention several different use cases but the most prominent is for teachers and those in the EDU community. If you use Google Forms to have students submit assignments, pre-filling a response can definitely streamline the process.
For example, as a teacher you would have a default Google Form for student’s assignments with the basic fields covered:
- First and Last Names
- Section Number
- Assignment Name
- Assignments Shared URL in Google Drive
As you create different assignments for your students, pre-filling the Assignment Name with your specific naming convention can make it easy to keep track of responses, along with only having to edit one Google Form.
Pre-filling responses is great for any industry as well. If you require employees to submit time-sheets through a Google Form, pre-filling the date range will allow you to manage one Form, rather than dozens.
To set a pre-filled response in Google Forms:
- Create a Google Form like you normally would
- Click the ‘Responses’ section in the toolbar
- Click ‘Get pre-filled URL’
- Fill out any fields you would like pre-filled and click submit
- Copy the new URL at the top of your screen and share that, rather than the conventional URL