Most thesauruses get stumped when you enter in phrasal verbs (like “look down on”) or plural nouns (like “runners”). The synonyms you typically get are never quite accurate. But there’s a new AI-powered thesaurus for Google Docs called Thesaurus Pro that gives synonyms for all of those–and more.
How is this possible? The add-on uses Natural Language Processing techniques and large databases of similar words. So here’s how to use Thesaurus Pro:
- In Docs, go to Add-ons > Get add-ons > search for Thesaurus Pro. Install it and approve the permissions.
- Head back up to Add-ons > Thesaurus Pro > Open.
- The tool will open in a window on the right-hand side. Right away, you can see three features that set it apart from other thesaurus tools. It can find synonyms for:
- Phrasal verbs (like “look down on”)
- Conjugated verbs (like “eaten”)
- Plural nouns (like “runners”)
Another great little feature is that if you do a search and don’t quite find what you’re looking for, but feel that you’re on the right track, you can just click on any of the search results. You’ll be taken to more synonyms for that particular term, hopefully leading you to what you’re looking for.