Fitting your text in your cells is a common challenge in a spreadsheet. There are easy fixes like adjusting the size of your columns or rows, but sometimes those adjustments can alter your spreadsheet view and the best option to make your text fit is to rotate it.
Have you ever tried searching for a rotate button in Google Sheets? You won’t have much luck finding an exact button, but there are workarounds you can use to rotate your text vertically and customize the degree you want to rotate your text. If you are working with a spreadsheet that stores a lot of data and requires filtering, then you may want to insert an image instead. Check out the video above and read the text below to learn these workarounds for rotating text.
To rotate your text vertically:
- Find the text you want to rotate vertically.
- Replace the text in the cell with this formula: =ARRAYFORMULA(CONCATENATE((MID( “Text to become vertical”, ROW(INDIRECT(“YY1:YY”&LEN( “Text to become vertical” ))), 1)&CHAR(10))))
- In the text between the quotation marks (Text to become vertical), replace the text you want to rotate inside those quotation marks. There are two instances in the formula.
- Hit Enter once you’ve typed out the text.
- Your text will display vertically.
To customize the degree in which you want to rotate your text:
- Find and copy the text you want to rotate.
- Select Insert.
- Click Drawing.
- An “Insert Drawing“ window will appear.
- Select the text box icon and draw your text box.
- Paste the text you want to rotate into the text box.
- Adjust the sizing of the text box as needed.
- Hover your mouse over the top of the text box and wait until you see a plus sign “+.” This symbol means that you are ready to rotate.
- Rotate the drawing to the degree that works for you.
- When you are done rotating, click Save and Close.
- Your drawing is now in your spreadsheet and you can move it around to where you need it to be.
- To make any adjustments to the text, rotation, color, or other features, select the drawing and find the drop down menu that appears once the drawing is selected.