If you are new to Slack, a channel is like a mix with between a mailing list and a chat room. Usually each channel will have a specific topic, such as “Video Games” or “Marketing Projects”. Channels ensure all Slack conversations can remain focused. Deciding on a topic is the hard part, creating a new channel in Slack is easy.
1. Click the plus sign next to where it says “Channels” on your Slick side bar
2. Choose whether you would like the channel to be private (invite only) or public (anyone in your team/company can access)
3. Enter a channel name
4. Enter the names of teammates you want to invite
5. Write a description of the channel’s purpose
6. Click create the channel!